To blog or not to blog… it’s a very valid question. Blogging is an enormous commitment and, like a needy Tamagotchi baby, requires constant care. Blogs tick so many of the boxes you need to drive traffic to your site that it makes them worth the effort. They provide stellar content that your readers will enjoy, share and comment on which makes them an invaluable arrow in your marketing quiver. But before you dash off to WordPress and “Welcome World” a blog of your own, you need to have a very definite plan, a philosophy and fistfuls of free time.
Reasons to get a blog
Blogs are your ticket past the bouncers of the internet; Panda and Penguin. These two heavyweights are the algorithms that Google has created to sift through the good, the bad and the ugly to bring you the most relevant sites for your Google search. P&P judge relevancy by the number of hits you get, your bounce rate, the number of times your content is shared, liked, Google +’ed and commented on.
A blog is the best way to optimize your site for SEO, use your keywords until the cows come home and generally get your name out there.
There is nothing that drives traffic more than valuable content. Blogs provide the reader with a resource that will make them want to spend time on your site and share the things they find there.
Blogs enable you to provide your reader with something valuable, for free. If you are working on establishing trust so that you can sell a product or a service, this is a great way to go about it. Providing them with a valuable resource establishes a rapport and sets you up as an expert in the field.
The internet is a busy market place and, like most markets, it’s loud, it’s bright, it’s colourful and everyone is trying to sell you something. If you want to get noticed, you must stand out from the clambering crowd. A blog enables you to show your true personality and share your most valuable asset (that’s you) with the world so you can tell your brand story and foster a connection with your audience.
Roadmap to Blogging Success
Like all marketing strategies, blogging should be carefully planned. Start by drawing up a roadmap for your blog with clear goals.
- Don’t ask Doug the intern to blog for you; your audience deserves better so put aside the time or hire an expert. Ensure that your blogger is a consummate professional in the field so that the information you disseminate is accurate and relevant.
- Establish a blogging schedule and stick to it. Regular posting helps to improve your SEO and provides fresh content for regular readers.
- Share your content everywhere. Ensure that your blog is accessible on your website, share your posts on your social media sites and set up an emailing newsletter which will help to highlight new content.
- Blogs enable users to access multimedia, so use it. Get great pictures, use videos and insert podcasts so that your website offers a multimedia option to entice visitors who may not have time to read the blog.
- Let your voice and personality shine through. Articles that are keyword stuffed or that use jargon are dullsville deluxe; only write articles that are 300-600 words and make them original, interesting and relevant.
Blogging is a powerful marketing tool, but with great blogging comes great responsibility. Blogs are your channel to make a truly meaningful connection with your readers. Start one today and watch your website blossom.
Need help with your business blog? Our content marketing specialists can help. Fill out the form below and we’ll get in touch with ASAP.